Reasons behind switching to a different host for your website can be many. Either your existing host isn’t scalable enough to cater to the growing needs of your website, or isn’t simply competent enough to supplement your website adequately, or if you are feeling that the costs you are paying are not justified at all.
Domain transfer is an intricate process that allows you to switch to a different domain provider. However, it also tags along with several complications that are quite difficult to deal with, especially if you lack the required knowledge set. The following section aims at educating you on several steps that are involved in the domain transfer process. Let’s have a look.
4 Steps Involved in Domain Transfer Process
1. Create a Backup of Your Website Data
Initiating a domain transfer process without creating a backup of your website data could put you at the risk of losing confidential information pertinent to your website, permanently. Therefore, experts insist on creating a full backup of your website that you can recover after you have accomplished transferring your domain to a different provider.
2. Change the Server Domain Name
You are assigned a numeric URL for both the secondary and primary name server as soon as you purchase a new server for the website. The next step here is the domain registration company to go about changing the data from your old DNS data to the new DNS framework. Commonly, this procedure takes around 24 to 72 hours that may get additionally augmented relying on the responsiveness of the recorder.
3. Initiate Uploading of Files to the New Server
Subsequent to the process of domain transfer, you will now need to upload the website’s information to the new domain server. If you wish to make any changes with the setting, you may go further and look into the panel.
4. Some Basic Tips
- It is recommended to shut down the old website while uploading your files to the new server, so as to ease and speed-up the data upload process.
- Choose a time when your website encounters the minimum amount of traffic, say at 4 AM in the morning, so as to make sure you don’t come across any hassles while uploading the data.
- Don’t forget to notify your target audience, in addition to your host so as to make them aware of the run-throughs you are planning on to undertake with your website.
These are some of the basic steps that you need to take into account prior to initiating the domain transfer process. Make sure you are through with them so as to hasten your domain switching process.